Thursday, September 10, 2009

Artist Statements & Critiques

Well the feedback that I got in class was good enough to change some of my first draft to make it better. She told me to add maybe some quotes and just some grammar. She also gave me ideas so that I can make my artist sound better and in more depth about my icon.

Artist Statement Draft # 2

It was just about two years ago when it was my grandparent’s fiftieth wedding anniversary. All my cousins and family came as we celebrated the event. They were showing a slide show of their life story and it really struck me of how inspirational my grandparents are to me. I have been asking my dad about the history of them and their life story and now it has all connected and makes more sense to me. When I heard a brief overview of their life story I was shocked because of everything that happened in their lives.

My grandparents grew up in two different places in the country of Mexico. One lived in Mazatlan and the other in Leon. My grandparents met and moved to Mexicali Mexico just miles away from the border. When they were young my grandma smoked and drank a little but my grandpa just drank on a normal basis. In the year 1959 that’s when their lives changed and 50 years later so did mine. They found the Lord and immigrated to Lincoln Heights in Los Angeles from Mexicali Mexico. Then their lives’ went from doing nothing to making their lives mean something and change a lot of other people’s lives.

After they found the Lord they went to go spread it with other churches around the United States and around the world. And they took all five of their kids to sing songs in Spanish that they made which are stories in the bible. In total there are three generations in the Murillo family. My grandparents were the first, the second was all their kids, and the third was with my sisters, my brother, and my mom and dad. When we went on vacation we did what my grandparents did which is sharing the word of God. Now it is my responsibility to keep this tradition going and make a fourth generation with my future family.

They showed me never to give up in life and you can do what ever you want in life because. It says in Mark 9:23 “If you can, said Jesus, everything is possible for him who believes,” with the Lord everything is possible. They showed me by changing their whole life around and did what they wanted to do in life. I have set the bar higher for me to do anything I want to do to complete my life and to keep the tradition going with the fourth generation of the Murillo Family.


No comments:

Post a Comment